Thursday, December 23, 2004

I guess most of u should know the ending of RICO farm(aka Animale Farm 2), if u guess handover, u're rite. If u remember handover, then u should remember the incoherent 2000 word essay I penned with many grammatical errors. Well....after reading it again, i think i wrote enough to do justice to the flurry of emotions then...So, here goes....

Letting go.....seems easier said than done....and the truth is......who can let go?.......
23072004
What a day...an ordinary day....a day just like others....yet it hold so much significance to me. I cannot deny that this day was far more meaningful than any other I had in RI, I cannot deceive myself to think that I do not care, I do not love.....This day is handover, where sec 4s officially "retire" from the orchestra, where the new tide washes us thru. It marks the end of our journey, a beginning for the next generation...... I cannot give back what RICO has given me in the past 3 years, it is too much to be returned.

Though my path in the orchestra wasn't really smooth-sailing, it was a learning process, and I was given an experience I would never forget eternally.... Yes, today the amazing journey i took would be revealed and secrets shall be told and truth shall be known Year 2001, sep-nov, i joined RICO as a sec 1 switching from Judo to Chinese Orchestra. I was in Judo for the first 3 months, quiting somewhere in April orMay. The reason which I quit was that I could not comprehend and accept gamesmanship. I felt that there was more to life than that. A casual comment from my mum was enough for me to set my mind on quiting. After quiting, I was a "
floating body" for 6 months. In this 6 months, I've tried applying for another sports CCA, basketball, which I tot I could understand and excel. The TIC(teacher-in-charge) had promised to let me try for the team. However, coincidentally or whatever, he did not get back to me. By sep-nov, I finally realised that I couldn't go on like this. Thus, in a new environment with new friends for 9 months, I took the largest gamble- as my best friend- kevin was in CO, my brother was in band, I went to apply for CO. I have no musical background and screwed music lessons in pri sch. What I did was apparent sucide, but looking at todae, it has not turned out so.......

When I stepped into RICO, I felt remotely out of place. I had no understanding of music theory, was unable to differentiate one instrument from the other and knew very few ppl. I was allocated into erhu with Kai Hong who joined at the same time as me. Kai Hong had an advantage as he had a grade 4 or 6 piano cert. (I forgot) Soon, we went for lessons under Mr Mike Chiang, basically an extremely nice guy who oozes charm and is extremely funny. Kai Hong was learning at a faster rate and I had difficulty catching up. Not long after, we were also required to "observe" orchestral practice. It is during one of these practice that Mr Goh Yew Guan, RICO's conductor at that time, picked us up and set us to play percussion, me a triangle and kai hong wooden blocks. Yes, with my music theory at that time, u could imagine what happen. I couldn't even play the first beat of every bar(thts wat the score requires of me) at tht time. Btw, the song was Long, our 2003 SWF piece. After numerous practice and guidance from both Julian and Mr Goh, i begin to get the hang of it. RICO was in a precarious situation at tht time. We got a bronze, a big drop from gold, in 2001. There were rumours of disbanding, morale was at a all time low. I couldn't choose a worse time to join.

In sec 2, the situation continued and there was this "draggy" feeling thru out CO. Percussion had no sectionals and we(Me, Julian, Kai Hong) literally had to sight-read every practice and obviously, we would get screwed this way. Near the end of the year, there was shocking news..... Mr Goh had decided to quit. He has been with the CO since RICO was started and the reasons forhis leaving are too sensitive to quote up here, but I'll just say that it's got something to do with a disreptancy in viewpoint of him and the sch's management. A new conductor, Mr Yeo Puay Hian, took over, a fatherly figure that is kind and well-respected. Things have just started to change.....

To descibe the turning point of the orchestra, I could not leave out one very important person, our ex-TIC, Mr Lee. He contributed tremendously to turning RICO out of its decline and to what it is today. Sec 3 was an eventful year, which I would call the start of the revival miracle. SYF was on that year and our standards seemed to be indicate another disappointment in store. At the start of Sec 3, we had our late concert which ws supposed to be held in the dec the previous year. I was playing both erhu and percussion for that concert and I must admit that looking back, i was in no condition nor skill to be up on stage. I was playing crap, i think...After the concert, we had our SYF. It drew close to the march hols, we were preparing and suddenly, SARS hit Singapore. We had an extra 2 weeks hols and SYF was postpone for 3 months. 3 months, miracle happened. Mr Lee went to extremes to hire the services of Shen Guo Qing lao shi, who was given 3 months to perform a miracle on us. Miracles did happen and we worked our way to a silver award. Throughout this built-up, Mr Lee fought for us for many things, including using the hall as a practice area, employing up to 7 teachers and bonding the orchestra in a way that was never like before. I salute him and he deserves the greatest honour of making my time in CO a meaningful one.

In the final year, a hectic year, I was drafted into commitee as a Librarian, though I must say I was more interested in the organising and running of the orchestra than printing scores, thus I left most of the work to Bing Liang who screws everything. Can't blame him though, the scores and the library are seriously messy and "untouchables". Adding to that, these 2 yrs, sec3 and 4, we had 5 concerts, 4 major ones, Jit-Sin+RI in Sg, in Penang, RI+SN atVCH2003, RI+RJ+RG at SCH2004, the fifth minor one was a combined Raffles schools concert in the Botanical Gardens. Such a schedule was pure sucide if we had expected it, ironically. The cute thing was that it was after we had been thru everything that we realised that everything was so much. Dec 2003, we were thinking of songs to play for this yr's April concert, come up with Fei Tian, Long Teng, Jun Ma....these 3 were sucidal enough considering our standards. opps....correction...i think we started Fei Tian in Dec and for Long Teng, we started 2 weeks b4 CNY, plaaning to play it for CNY. obviously tht didn't work out and Shen Lao Shi was tasked with a 3 month miracle again, this time for concert.

During march hols, went to Penang for 1 wk, must say that it was the most fufilling trip as there was this spirit of togetherness that is so unique to RICO. It was the most unforgettable part of my memories of RICO. Yes, again Shen Lao Shi has this unique ability to make 3 month miracles happen. This time, the job was much harder as we were training for a full-fledge percussion based song that none of us has touched in our days in RICO. Yet, he made it happen. Yes, he might have said stuff that are not very nice, scolding us....but tht jus shows that he cares and he wants us to excel. By concert day, a decent Long Teng was ready, combining with RG perc, it made the whole thing sound more impressive.And yes, Jun Ma was finally out(as in scores) 1 month b4 the concert and we started panicking for JOTO 3 wks b4. Still, everything worked out rather good considering the amount of time we had. finally concert....I was soloist yet when I asked myself if I was playing for anyone in the audience, I realised that my answer was a no. I have always believed that music is selfish or personal if u dun like my phrasing, a musician can only meant the music for 1 person in the audience, not anymore. My parents couldn't make it and a few friends bought "Phantom tickets"(Buying and not turning up) to make up my ticket sales. I was rather troubled by the thought till I finally realised b4 going on stage that it does not matter if the person I was playing for was in the audience seats, what matter most is that I knoe that me myslef is playing for tht person. Its like loving someone and letting him or her go becoz u knoe tht he/she would be happier. When my solo finished, the applause was confirmation that i did not care for, though having the Shen Lao Shi shouting good in chinese was definitely encouraging, what i care for is that I am able to tell myself that i went up and played the best for tht one person..... And so i realised that the confirmation that we so blindly go for everytime was illusive, was so fragile and superficial.....

The end of the april concert signals the "coolin down" peroid for the sec 4s as we engage in our studies for the common test. Soon, the last concert went and the miracle of 2003-2004 commitee was done and the legacy of batch 2004 was passed down on the fateful day of 23072004. Goodbye seems the hardest thing to say, it seems as we both reluctantly and excitedly handed the baton of leadership to the Sec 3s. The road has been paved, the miracles have been done. Rescuing RICO from the worse was over and the path is lighted ahead. The legacy must continue.....The miracles must be made.....To all my juniors, all I have to say is that we've come so far from our lowest point, it is time to build a tradition. RICO is a relatively young orchestra, formed only in 1980something I forgot. I heard that it was formed and disbanded thrice, as such we did not have the history and tradition many school had, + the fact that our sch had 50 over CCAs meant that budget was low, membership was low. Yes, we might never be like CHS, DHS or even RGS, NY and so on but RICO still remains a unique orchestra. We might not measure up in technique or skills to them but is that what u want in ur life? Yes, RICO seems to be heading downhill again with membership with the sec ones next yr barely over 50, but the most important thing i feel is that the 50 of u all next yr would create a miracle of ur own jus like the batch of 2004 has done. Miracles are elusive by nature, the more unlikely, the more likely, how ironic. The miracle need not be SYF gold or something, it can be something seemingly trivial, but it would be etched into the memories of 50 of u all for the rest of ur life. The most valuable present RICO gave me was the eternal gift of memories. When a miracle happens in ur life, u wouldn't forget it no matter what happens. So ppl, stop comparing and start living. There are memories out there for u to create.

RICO case closed with a bit of tears, laughter and obviously memories.

p.s. I believe in everlasting memories, feelings. 20 yrs down the road, check me, I'll stil remember 23072004 and the miracles...
Signing off(This is the longest entry so far)


I esp like the last paragraph, thus block quoting it....yes ppl, enjoy....reflect and relive the memories. Presenting to you RICO farm......and the legend shall continue..........