Friday, October 22, 2004

First demerit point?

hmm...lets start from tuesday. In the afternoon, was studying in school. About 15mins b4 leaving, decided to have a game of bridge to destress. In the second or third round, the door slammed open and a voice rang out "Put down!" In came the security guard Elangor. He confiscated the cards and started on a lecture on how cards are bad and can lead to fighting etc. After quite some time, he went off with a warning to us. No demerit point here though. The next day, day b4 chem prac, was in school again studying, again, some time b4 lunch, we started a bridge game. The door slammed open again and this time, a more weightly character stood at the door. He begined" Gentlemen, no....Children" He went by the book, confiscated the cards and took our names. From the short episode, I would say that the security guard is more worthy as an educator. He attempted to explain, identify, qualify his point that cards are bad. The other, the prefect master, was did only enough to get us put off playing cards in the classroom, yet he left us disatisfied and fruastrated. He accused us of turning the classroom into a "gambling den". fine, I was playing cards, but I did not gamble. The word "gamble" suggests much more. It is almost impossible to gamble with bridge as its stakes are too high for most of us. Cards are a sign of gambling but many poker card games like hearts and bridge are being accepted as intellectual games. Bridge involves a lot of maths. It originated from the concept of vulnerability, and it is interesting to see how ppl describe their hands through the bids, how partners try to choose the best bid for themselves and how players play their cards in their attempt to set the contract. After saying all this, I will reiterate the point that I was wrong in playing cards in the classroom, it is not allowed under the school policy (I choose not to use the word "rule")and I knew it. However, the argument above is what I see as a major problem, that ppl see card games=unproductive=gambling thinking. Intellectual games that stimulate the mind should be allowed in the top, premier and pioneering school. I shall end off by narrating the events in the LT during Chem prac lockup. A description of the LT, I would take from the prefect master, "gambling den". Cards are everywhere, literally. Bridge, Hearts, Big Two, Stress are held simultaneously UNDER teacher's supervision apparently. To add on, some of them were even gambling with real money. The irony is that no one was "caugth", no one was told off, no one had their names taken down. Is it that our school's enforcement of its policy-fickle? Or is it that as a large group, we had extra privilleges that includes breaking the school policies? I don't know. At the end of the day, I was more amused than disturbed. I wonder why. Irony? Sacarsm? You choose. It's none of my buisness anymore...