Thursday, June 03, 2004

Drawing some quotes from the movie Contact:

Executive: We must confess that your proposal seems less like science and more like science fiction.

Ellie Arroway: Science fiction. You're right, it's crazy. In fact, it's even worse than that, it's nuts. You wanna hear something really nutty? I heard of a couple guys who wanna build something called an airplane, you know you get people to go in, and fly around like birds, it's ridiculous, right? And what about breaking the sound barrier, or rockets to the moon? Atomic energy, or a mission to Mars? Science fiction, right? Look, all I'm asking is for you to just have the tiniest bit of vision. You know, to just sit back for one minute and look at the big picture. To take a chance on something that just might end up being the most profoundly impactful moment for humanity, for the history... of history.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Alien: You're an interesting species, an interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Palmer Joss: What are you studying up there?

Dr. Eleanor Ann Arroway: Oh, the usual. Nebulae, quasars, pulsars, stuff like that. What are you writing?

Palmer Joss: The usual. Nouns, adverbs, adjective here and there.
------------------------------------------------------------------


The quotes above carry important messages and i shall leave it up to you out there to decipher. It's very good movie and novel( I've read and seen both) It argues if the spiritual and scientific world could coexist and shows how the concept inteeligent life other than us could result in a conflict between both of them. Is Science generalising religion? Or is religion brainwashing us not to accept Science?

Into the June hols now, still life is quite empty. Am now digging up old RPG games that are not completed yet to complete. Have not started on hmwk. Got extra lessons nxt wk. grr...looking forward to O-levels to be over. But still, i'm not so sure. O-level marks the end, and the end forces u to choose another beginning unlike my lucky juniors who have their fates dictated for them. It does seem easier to follow instructions than to act on ur own initiative. Human like me are so contradictory, you dun give them choices, they want freedom. U give them choices, they can't make up their mind...haiz...shld start studying and tell myself tht 10 A1s is as simple as waking up 1 day to find myslef on Mars... Well, its time to hit the books!

Plan tht wld never be followed.
-Finish all hmwk by wk2 of Jun hols Sunday
-Slack for wk3
-Mug for common test on wk4

I never meant to change anyone's life, I never thought it could have such an impact. I merely allowed the truth to shine through, breaking away layers of deceit and lies, yet I wish I hadn't. If I could turn back the hands of time, I'll leave things as it is, a neutral party.